Wednesday, October 23, 2013

sardines

asher: mom? why did that man say that the sardines have no escape?
me: well, because between the dolphins and the sharks and the birds, they can't get away.
asher: but why can't they get away?
me: because they're going to be eaten.
*he hides his face and burst into tears
me: what's wrong, bud?
asher: I DON'T WANT THE DOLPHINS TO EAT THE SARDINES!
me: oh, darling. i know that's hard to think about. it makes me sad to think about animals being killed sometimes too. but if the dolphins didn't eat the fish, then the dolphins would die.
asher: BUT WHY CAN'T THE DOLPHINS JUST EAT SEAWEED?!?!
me: hmm, that's a good question. did you know that some people believe that before adam and eve sinned that no animals killed others for food? everything ate plants and fruits. so maybe when Jesus comes back and makes all things new and good again, dolphins will eat seaweed.
asher: WHY ISN'T JESUS HERE YET?!
me: well, no one knows, bud. what we do know is that God knows the perfect time for Jesus to come back and so we can trust in Him for the right timing.
asher: BUT I WISH ADAM AND EVE DIDN'T SIN SO THE SARDINES COULD LIVE! I JUST LOVE THOSE SARDINES AND I NEED THEM NOT TO DIIIIIIIIIE!
me: i know, bud. i wish adam and eve didn't sin so we didn't have to worry about sin or death at all, but that makes us want Jesus and love Him even more knowing that God fixed our sin problem when Jesus was here the first time. AND it gives us so much to be excited about and hope for when He comes back again.
asher: yeah...i need to go pray right now. i need to go talk to God about those sardines.
me: ok, bud.
*he walks into his bedroom.

who knew that watching a show about the ocean would generate an opportunity to share the gospel? praying that asher's sweet heart, compassion, and prayers for the salvation of sardines would one day mature into a passion for sharing the gospel with human beings.

love that boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment